Every year, house fires are caused by the use of outdated extension cords, or the improper use of extension cords certified for specific home applications. To avoid potential danger, be sure to adhere to the following guidelines:

1. Do not use old extension cords that have a thin cord and two prongs of equal size. They lack standard safety features such as a neutral “ground” that can prevent a short circuit.

2. Check the maximum amperage load of your extension cord to ensure it can handle the electrical demands of the appliance or device you intend to power.

3. Do not plug several items into a single extension cord.

4. Do not connect one extension cord into another.

5. Do not remove the third prong of a plug in order to fit the cord into a two-prong wall plug.

6. Whenever possible, use a power bar with surge protection to connect an item to your wall plug.