As you look to the months ahead, one question you might be grappling with is, “Should I sell my home this year?”
Unless you must sell — due to a work relocation, for example — then making that decision can be difficult.
A technique that may make it easier is to ask yourself these questions:
• How much can we get for our property on today’s market?
• Is there a dream area or neighborhood we’d like to live in someday? (Maybe “someday” is sometime this year!)
• Does our current property no longer meet our needs? (For example, we need another bedroom.)
• Do we want to live closer to something? (For example, we want to be closer to relatives.)
• Do we want to get away from something? (For example, we’d like to move somewhere quieter.)
• How will moving make our lives better?
Asking those questions will give you a clearer picture of the benefits of moving versus staying. That, in turn, will make the decision a lot easier.
For example, if you discover that your lifestyle will be much better in a new home — because of an extra bedroom, faster commute to work, or quieter neighborhood — then selling this year makes sense. Why wait? In fact, you should start the process right now to get an early start.
If, on the other hand, you see no good reason to move this year, then not selling might be the right decision for you. Keep in mind, however, that you don’t necessarily need a tangible reason to move. Simply “wanting a change” is enough!