If you’re shopping for a new home, you’ll likely be looking for a property that has been well cared for by its owners. A home that is in a good state of repair and may even be “move-in ready,” can ultimately save you time and money.
A well looked after property often has the following characteristics:
- No scuffs and dents on walls that look like they’ve been there for years.
- Major appliances are in good working order.
- Caulking around the bathroom tub or shower looks solid with no cracks, breaks or yellowing from water infiltration.
- The flooring looks clean and well-maintained. (If there is carpeting, it looks like it has been regularly vacuumed.)
- Proper lighting is installed and working in all areas.
- Seals around windows look good with no sign of air infiltration.
- Exterior landscaping is well groomed.
Besides those traits, a well-maintained property will tend to make a great impression. In some cases, you’ll think, “Wow, the owner really took care of this place.” Trust that instinct. It’s probably true!